Ok, so this is happening now. I’ve shared my concerns about guest blogging going mainstream and thus becoming synonymous to “link building” (which in itself may sound absolutely normal but this aspect should not become the main purpose of guest blogging).
Here’s the first sign of that happening: guest posting email spam (ala link exchange spam). Here’s what arrived at my inbox just a few hours ago:
[all the names and details are deleted because these are private no matter how I treat the message]
My name is [something], I represent a growing list of professional bloggers, and I want to see if you need guest bloggers for your blog. I can connect you with a topically relevant blogger that will be a perfect fit for your audience. Below are 3 examples of blog post done by some of our professional bloggers:
[insert links to posts of questionable quality here]
The guest blogger will write an interesting post per your instructions, and of course you would get to pre-approve all post and have the right to refuse or request/make edits to the post before it goes live.
If you are interested in this free service, I would be more than happy to send you some sample story ideas and connect you with a quality blogger in your niche.
Thank you for your time,
- No personalization (Who are you talking to? Which site of mine are you referring to? etc);
- Boring cliches (“perfect fit”, “quality blogger in your niche”, etc): reminds me of “We will place you at top position in Google” spam we are all familiar with;
- Evident lies (I doubt that’s really a “free” service).
- Guest posting will be abused (and already is);
- If you want guest posting to work for you, don’t go for it and ignore the spam;
- Remember what guest posting is really NOT!
Post image by jepoirrier
Latest posts by Ann Smarty (see all)
- How to Brainstorm Awesome Content Ideas! #MyBlogGuest - July 24, 2014
- How to: Create Useful Group Interview that Go Hot On Twitter #MyBlogGuest - July 17, 2014
- Announcing @MyBlogU: Brainstorm & Create EPIC Content #MyBlogU - July 3, 2014